Is Your House Dangerous?

Dangerous House - Is Your House Killing You - Winnipeg

Is Your House Dangerous?

Your home is supposed to be a sanctuary, a safe place to retreat from the troubles of the world. But for some owners of older properties this is unfortunately not the case. For some, it can be downright dangerous.

While home renovation TV shows and magazines are filled to the brim with advice on how to fix some of the all-too-common dangers that we’ll address below, following through on the corrective measures comes with very considerable expense. If you’re somewhat strapped for cash or simply don’t want to pour savings/income in a run down house, yet fear the threat to the health of yourself and occupants, your best recourse is to sell, and sell fast. That said, how are you going to put a dangerous house to market? Good luck finding a Realtor to take that on. That’s where we come in. We will buy your home for cash at fair market value, and within a few short days of initial contact. But before we do, let’s review what may be making your house a danger to your physical health.

5 Ways Your Old House May Be a Threat to Your Physical Health and Why You Should Sell Fast

Mold Growth

Bathrooms and basements are typical moist areas prone to the growth of mold, but any area in the home that is exposed to moisture may harbor this slow but steady threat to your respiratory health.

The freeze-thaw cycle in Winnipeg makes older homes extremely susceptible, especially with undetected cracks, crevices, and fissures through the house. Once mold takes its firm grip, the cost to eradicate it for good may be too much to bear, or simply not worth the investment. If mold has taken over, it’s time to get out.

Asbestos

If your Winnipeg home was built prior to 1990 you probably have an asbestos problem. In fact, this toxic insulator is still found in a surprisingly high number of homes throughout the city, and if left unchecked leads to very significant health concerns. If you’ve been living in a home with asbestos, there’s a good chance it has already begun to take its toll in some form. Living in a home with this harmful fiber can lead to a lung disease called asbestosis, or much worse.

The most obvious recourse, is a complete renovation to remove the asbestos and to replace it with a safer and more efficient form of insulation. But do you know how much it costs to remove this dangerous insulator and replace with a healthier more efficient one? You don’t want to know. What about insurance? If this many years have passed without an inspection for asbestos then your policy’s small print with most likely have voided an opportunity to make a claim. Your best option? Sell to us, and let us deal with the headache.

Bad Wiring

Over the years, have you noticed random dimming or flickering of lights, strange odors, frequently blown fuses and circuit breakers, and/or sparking from outlets when plugging and unplugging cords? One or a combination of the above likely means you’ve got some bad wiring in the home. Each day that passes increases the risk of an electrical fire which can destroy the property and harm its occupants. The cost to replace electrical wiring throughout a home is very significant, but given that you might not be able to wait to save up enough to cover it, it’s best to sell and move into a safer place. Don’t wait, contact us right away to discuss your options.

Lead

Another harmful substance that tends to riddle older homes in Winnipeg is lead. It can be found in the original paint and in water pipes, with occupants breathing and consuming (drinking water, etc.) a toxin which like asbestos, is known to be a slow but steady killer. Stripping off old paint and applying a new coat throughout may or may not be a manageable cost, but if it’s combined with pipe replacement it is more cost efficient to sell, and get the heck out of there.

Radon and Carbon Monoxide

Last but not least is the dangerous duo of radon and carbon monoxide. Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that enters an older home through known and unknown holes or cracks in the foundation and/or walls. Carbon monoxide, which gets the most press between the two, can also work its way through a home without a proper air quality management system, and can cause everything from shortness of breath to death. If either is discovered after a home inspection, you may need to replace all old appliances, fix insulator issues in the foundation and walls, and invest in a premium HVAC system, which collectively can run deep into the thousands, and typically ten to fifteen thousand dollars. If you’re not prepared to live with these impending expenses, but realize you can no longer live in such a threatening environment, then once again, you need to sell right away.

Contact 5 Day Cash Offer at 204.222.0022 to sell your old (and potentially dangerous) Winnipeg home today.